View Single Post
Old 02-17-2002, 04:00 AM   #40
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

Back to the Leon Smith issue for a moment. First off the Mavs did not chaperone him well enough, that is clear. It is also important to note that this guy had problems with his mental health. As somebody with first hand experience in this at a close level, all I can say is you will never see it coming. the first outbreak of a manic/depressive is almost never caught. This is what happened to Smith, hence the whole Indian thing. After diagnosis it is somewhat controlable, but it often takes up to 5-7 years to find the right medicine to control the situation. I think it is unfair to blame anybody in this situation. Manic-Depressive is a chemical problem in the brain (essentially it is the brain not producing enough salt which somehow controls the moods. I am not a doctor so i could be wrong, but this is how it was explained to me. It is also why they use lithium type of drugs, which replenish that). Likewise the Mavs did not know of his problems and hence could not react to them in a timely manner. Could the Mavs have handled the situation better, yes, but would any NBA team have kept Smith from his unfortunate situation, probably not. Leon Smith is batling a disease which he can never conquer, so the best anyone can do is wish upon him the best care, and God's good wishes

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote