View Single Post
Old 01-06-2004, 12:05 AM   #28
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:The Official "Knicks to the Lottery" Thread

Quote:
Originally posted by: kg_veteran
Quote:
I think it goes without saying that isiah was going to have to DO SOMETHING. Whether this is the ABSOLUTELY RIGHT something can only be determined down the road. There's just NO WAY that you can judge it tonight.
Some party pooper you are. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

As you pointed out, we pretty much know what this does for the Knicks. I'll sit back and watch the rest of what Thomas does before the trading deadline; so far I've been unimpressed, and not because I dislike him (even though that's true) but because I think he's mortgaged the future of the franchise without even giving it the opportunity to win it all now.
These two posts are pretty good summaries of the trade, IMO.

I just can't bring myself to defend Layden, but....he seemed to be making moves geared toward the longer-term. And Thomas has come in and totally mortgaged the future---and I'm talking 2-3 years down the road, not 5. Marbury is going to sell some tix in the short term, put some butts in the seat who'll come in from Brooklyn to see the hometown boy play. I even think he'll be enough to get them the 7-8th seed in the East. But no more.

And the "supporting" cast that the NYKs have for Marbury can easily crumble in the very near future, through retirement (Mutombo), free agency (Thomas), age (Houston is aging fast), injury (could be anybody--even Marbury), ...whatever. Thomas gave up any possible cap improvement, depth, and potential for Marbury, a gimp, and a project. That's it. Cut and dried. Thomas has one more trade bullet to fire with KVH, but he's given away a lot of chips. I'm not sure how good a deal he can make with KVH at this point.

Phoenix (like Jersey) saw that Marbury wasn't going to be enough to get them anywhere near the upper echelon of teams in the West, and so they capitalized him. They bought a LOT of potential in Lampe, Vujanic and the draft picks, and a lot of cap room with McDyess and Ward, and even some utility with Eisley.

You do have to wait and see how this trade pans out over time, but as far as I'm concerned, I like what Phoenix got out of it a LOT more than what the NYKs got.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote