Thread: Spurs @ Indiana
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2004, 08:05 PM   #8
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Spurs @ Indiana

I'm not taking anything away from Carlisle. He did a great job with Detroit, and has Indiana playing arguably the best ball in the league right now. But Pop is just so good at getting his team prepared to play, and his defensive scheme is as good as it gets. As to whether he should have won 5, I can't really agree with you there. Yeah, he had Duncan and DRob, but he was going up against an LA team with Shaq at the top of his game (which is better than either of Pop's bigs have ever played), Kobe Bryant just as he emerged as one of the best players in the game, and arguably the best coach of all-time in Phil Jackson. Not to mention some very nice, championship tested role-players on those LA teams who just had a freakish knack for hitting stride in the playoffs. I'd have a hard time picking any coach in the association right now over Pop.