View Single Post
Old 01-28-2004, 11:42 AM   #8
uberfan
Golden Member

uberfan has a spectacular aura aboutuberfan has a spectacular aura about
Default RE:Why not Stock up for the playoffs?

Quote:
Originally posted by: Poindexter Einstein
I saw that too, and was astonished that the Mavs would turn down ANYTHING for TAW. But on reflection, it does seem to make some sense, as follows ....
(1) Contracts are about identical, including length, so Mavs dont save any money.
(2) Anderson may not be good enough to get off the bench in Dallas. He would be getting minutes behind Howard, Finley, Jamison, and likely Daniels and Delk. If I was the coach, any spare swing position minutes would go to developing Daniels. So Anderson would likely be the 13th man on the roster, like TAW - thus being on the IL
(3) TAW's contract is paid by insurance if he stays on the IL, while Andersons wouldnt be.
(4) If Anderson is obtained, but then put on the reserve list errrr ummmm I mean the injured list, it costs Dallas money but doesnt help the team.
Yes, I thought about most of those things as well, especially the insurance angle. However I would have to think that Anderson is a better defender than Delk and possibly Daniels at this stage of his development. As long as Delk is injured and Daniels is out, our perimeter defense is Howard, Finley and Best. I don't see Jamison as a perimeter defender and Walker will hopefully play more inside in the playoffs on D. On the other hand, maybe the plan is to activate TAW towards the playoffs if that would not affect the insurance and if we need more perimeter D. Who knows.

uberfan is offline   Reply With Quote