View Single Post
Old 01-28-2004, 11:52 AM   #24
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

Poindexter Einstein will become famous soon enough
Default RE: THE OFFICIAL: "Get TAG to Dallas" campaign

DrBio .... I dont doubt what you say. However, when i look at the numbers and the history, i have to think Andersen could be available for the right money offer.

First of all, there won't be an extension. If your writer friends believe that, they have their heads up their butts or are dumb on the NBA rules - and you can quote me on that. (Lazy uninformed sportwriters, grrrrrr). An "extension" would have severe raise limits, and Andersen is only getting the minmum this year. If he wants to get REAL money, he has to become a FA, and he will. Once he is a FA, he gets to shop around for a team/deal for 2 weeks anywhere he wants to, before the Nuggets can make him an offer.

Second, Denver may WANT to keep him. But the only way they limit the suitors is to give him a "bigger than MLE" offer. Will they offer him a multi-year deal starting at $6M a year or more, to effectively shut off the competition and keep him? As much as they may like him, I have to wonder. That would make him the 2nd highest paid Nugget (or the highest, if Camby is lost). And from looking at their roster, it is hard to project him as anything more than a backup.

Third, as good as he looks, Andersen still has a real logjam in front of him for PT in Denver. As a player off the scrap heap, the chance to play in a place like Dallas, where there is a world of opportunity at C, might appeal to him more if the money is similar. Nene, Camby, dont they like Elson too? What about Tskitishvilli? They certainly cant bank on Camby, but they claim they want him back from all I have heard.
Poindexter Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote