View Single Post
Old 02-05-2004, 07:42 PM   #60
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

Poindexter Einstein will become famous soon enough
Default RE: NVE/Dampier to Dallas...Screw Portland

UBERFAN ... I dont know how good Dampier is, but no doubt the Mavs have the ability to scout him in detail. The fact that he will cost a HUGE commitment, right up front, without a chance to make sure of what you have, is the part that would make me hesitate the most.

As to "what better choices do you have" - there are several ways to go that might be just as good or better, especially if the Mavs scouts are not certain how good Dampier will play.

On the trade front - Out of the young options, Chicago has publically stated that EVERYONE there is available, which means Curry and Chandler are possible targets. Kwame Brown in Wash is also said to be available. There are the usual older vet types, of course, as a fallback.

On the free agent front, Ostertag appears to be the most promising option this summer. Names like Rebraca, Divacs, KThomas, Camby, and several others might also fit.

If I was trading for a C solution, my prime target would be Chi. They no doubt would LOVE to get rid of vet ADavis, who has a monstrously bloated contract, so perhaps an offer that includes Davis plus Curry (or Chandler) for a pair like Walker and Delk would work. Then the Mavs would have the vet for now, plus the kid to work with, in exchange for THE TRADE CHIP. If either trade were doable, I would prefer that one over the Dampier trade.
Poindexter Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote