View Single Post
Old 02-06-2004, 03:13 PM   #34
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:NVE/Dampier to Dallas...Screw Portland

Quote:
Originally posted by: Poindexter Einstein
DALM ... you said "What piece is it going to take to put them over the top? IMO A big man with the ability to play post defense, rebound, and score trash points. Damp can do that. The next weakness on the team is backup point. Best slows down the Mavs too much. NVE would fill that role nicely. "

Your analysis of what the Mavs need is very good.

But it is VERY UNCERTAIN if Dampier and NVE provide that.

If you get the Dampier from the last 4 months, then yes you have the big man - but if you are getting the Dampier from the last 4 years, then you didnt get what you were needing.

If you get the electric NVE from last year, then you have the backup PG. But if you get the injured creaky NVE from this year, then you whiffed again.

Which Dampier and NVE would you be getting? Right now, you have a really nice surplus trade chip (WALKER) to use to upgrade at center. If you use that chip and whiff, you will be talking a huge step backwards in the longterm quest for a title.

PE;
OK? Who are you going to use the chip on then. Shaq, Duncan, KG, J O'Neill, Yao are all off-limits (no way). The Davis's, Big Z, and the Seattle Bigs are not near Damp. Who is it that you are waiting to get? Curry? ? He has just as many detractors as Damp. He is big, and young and Chicago is talking about giving up on him (no way unless he is a spare). What other Center is out there that you could trade Walker for, to put a piece of the puzzle together. Personally I would like Bosh, but since the salaries aren't even close, no way you could do this. I do understand the "which" Damp and NVE. I just believe that the down side is still a better talent than what we have, in a place that we "need" it. Instead we have a large talent, that is not in the place that we need it.

If you keep Walker, and it doesn't work this year, you are still in the same boat next year - looking for a Big. No way to draft one in the first. Walker's contract expiring and needing to pay him now as well. If you trade him, you have a Big -maybe he doesn't opt out. You have a backup PG. You may win it all with or without the trade, but your shot at it goes way up for the next 4 years if you make the trade IMO.

As far as NVE, if I am trading Delk, and possibly even Najera for him, then is NVE's creakyness any larger than theirs?
Am I going to get the Damp from this year, or the Walker from the first half who can't shoot 3's or FT's? Asking who you are going to get is a good question any time.

I think that you still have chips regardless. I also think that Damp, NVE will help this team more than Walk, Delk. That is the bottom line.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote