View Single Post
Old 02-09-2004, 07:52 PM   #13
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

Poindexter Einstein will become famous soon enough
Default RE: Rasheed Wallace: Will he be traded or will he remain a Blazer or will he simply walk?

"Where did you get the idea that the Mavs weren't interested in Wallace?"

That is my opinion, based on things the Mavs said and did. (Thats why I worded it "I dont think" rather than stating it as a fact)

I know there were reports to the contrary, but almost all of them were assumptive and speculative. People assumed that the Mavs would want Wallace cause the Mavs need help in the middle. There was a ton of BS that was churned in the media that proved to be baseless.

As to whether the Mavs "had a real interest" - that part, only the Mavs can say for certain.

But my opinion is based on the following: who wants to give up a package of $17M worth of players - all of them talented and worth the money - for Wallace? The Mavs have said all along that they are only looking for a deal that is too good to turn down - and giving up $17M of talent isnt any such deal, as I see it. Obviously the Mavs would have taken Wallace if Portland was essentially trying to junk him, just to get him out of town. But Portland says they are looking for a true talent package - or else they will keep him and see what happens in the summer.

Remember, if someone trades for him, they dont know if they will have him next year. So that has to lower the offers. And then you have the Wacko Stuff - that lowers his value more. Yet Portland appears to want top dollar. For a Mavs team that is looking for a true bargain, that would seem to be the wrong place to be looking. And for that reason, I dont think they ever had any serious discussions with the Blazers.

My opinion is, that as the rumors swirled, the Mavs inquired (when they were in Portland) if the Blazers had decided to hold a junk sale. As Donnie put it, they were seeing "if they had missed anything." A few days prior to that, though, Donnie had said they hadnt talked to the Blazers in about a month, so up to that point it had to be all a myth. And of course, he talked to them, there was nothing to talk about, end of story.

When I put all that together, I conclude that the Mavs didnt ever have any real interest - not enough to make a serious offer of any kind, that is.

Again, those are my guesses, based on certain facts that I have noted.
Poindexter Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote