View Single Post
Old 02-14-2004, 02:11 PM   #13
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:Dirk to Mark: Keep chillin Cubes!

Quote:
Also, I'm sorry, using Malone's preparation as an example doesn't really fly this year.
Actually I think it does. That Malone can even play at a high level at his age is a tremendous accomplishment. Malone is out, not with some injury incurred over the summer, but because of a freak accident that couldn't have been avoided. While Dirk has suffered all season practically from recurring ankle injuries that started last season. Also Dirk has started the last 2 seasons very slowly and has had to take longer than most players to get up to speed.

I don't think that the international competition is even keeping Dirk in form, much less helping him improve. He comes back more passive at the start of the year and has to gradually work up his agressiveness. Also, international competition is far more likely to have dirty plays than pickup games because the stakes are so much higher. I've played with the same groups of guys in league games and in pickup games, and I can tell you that the intensity and the fouls are much harder in league games.

Dirk would be much better playing some pickup games against NBA caliber opponents than participating in international competition where only a few players on the opposing team are NBA caliber. The reward versus risk is much higher for pickup games than for international play.