View Single Post
Old 02-14-2004, 02:20 PM   #14
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future
Default RE:Dirk to Mark: Keep chillin Cubes!

From the time I was in Junior High School until after I turned 40, I played ball every day. EVERY DAY. Until I was in my late twenties, I usually played at least 3 or 4 hours each day--more on weekends. Lots of games where the winning shot--to stay on the court--had to come from outside because anybody taking the ball to the hoop was going to get knocked down hard. Games outside when it was over 100, games when we had to sweep the snow off the court, games of twenty-one with thirty guys on the court at once, games in inner city courts where I was the only white guy, games in barns where they'd run you into the posts, games where you had to be willing to fight to make a foul call stand up.

If you love to play--like Dirk obviously does--then you're going to play. I've read stories about NBA players driving around the city trying to find a pick-up game. I've played in games where some NBA guy was 100 times better than anybody in the competition, and they still wanted to play. And those guys might stay outside launching 30 footers all night, unless they were in danger of losing. Then they'd take it to the hoop and you better get out of their way.

Real ballers, guys (and gals) who love the game are going to find a place to play. Dirk's probably safer in organized, international games then he would be in pick-up games where every 6'4" and bigger guy is going to try to dunk on him or block him.

The other thing is, if Dirk didn't love to play that much, he wouldn't be half the player he is.
SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote