View Single Post
Old 02-15-2004, 06:22 PM   #37
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Dirk to Mark: Keep chillin Cubes!

Quote:
I guess you are right bayliss. Nellie is so stupid that he's not allowing the next kareem abdul jabbar to spend time in the post. I guess watching him in practice doesn't count for much. Dirk's low-post game is pretty much the same as last year and in fact it's been a struggle to keep him from launching either a fall-away or a 3pointer. I didn't see the last two games but I have seen all of .........2 hook shots taken by dirk this year. Big addition to his game. I also watch him take them in warmups and quite frankly he stinks at them. He may have been practicing them, but if he has it's been a pretty poor training regimen.
Well, I've only see him shoot it 4 times this year. 2 were in the same game.... 2 were in separate games. 2 went in... 2 did not. But at the end of last year Dirk was in the post a lot. In fact when Dirk went on his scoring binge the last 1/4 of the season he was routinely in the post. Can you say the same for this year? And he was effective in the post last year. So why not put him there more often this year?

You cannot deny the fact that Dirk is efficient is down low. Whether it looks pretty is beside the point. He gets the job done. So when Nellie says Dirk hasn't improved in the post, is hogwash. And the reason it is hogwash is because Nellie hasn't put him in the post enough this year to evaluate that. And only through repetition will a player become great in the post.

As for his defense... he might not improved that much but Nellie is playing him at a difdferent position for the first half. Did Dirk know he was going to be our center for 90% of the first half? I seriously doubt he did. And trying to learn a new position on the fly the player will struggle for awhile. But I gaurantee you this:

Dirk will not be playing center next year for the majority of minutes.

And if that is true then that means Dirk lost a year of defensive maturity because of the coach... not the player.

Quote:
As far as international play, if my investment is spending an extra quarter season playing when I have to pay him and risk the consequences I'm going to gripe as well. Again the guy paying the bills has the right to gripe and the guys GETTING the money have a responsibility to listen to the guy PAYING the bills.
I agree.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote