View Single Post
Old 02-19-2004, 02:31 AM   #17
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:David Aldridge is reporting a deal involving NY/GS

ISIAH EYES DAMPIER AND DOLEAC

By MARC BERMAN and PETER VECSEY
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MICHAEL DOLEAC: Knick encore?

February 19, 2004 -- With Isiah Thomas expected to strike out with Erick Dampier and Rasheed Wallace at today's 3 p.m. trade deadline, the Knicks still might add a new center - and an old face.
Thomas is bent on bringing back Michael Doleac, who was placed on waivers by the Hawks yesterday. At least it's continuity.

Yesterday, the Knicks offered Dikembe Mutombo, Kurt Thomas and Shandon Anderson for Dampier and Nick Van Exel - both of whom have opt-outs.

The Knicks also made a separate offer of Thomas and Othella Harrington for Dampier. The Warriors aren't expected to accept either.

Doleac has all but agreed to re-sign with the Knicks if he clears waivers tomorrow, but Utah, Denver and the Clippers are considering claiming him and his expiring $1.6 million deal.

As part of the All-Star Sunday trade, Thomas gave the Hawks a second-round pick with the understanding it would waive Doleac.

Doleac wouldn't mind if the Jazz took him, but has already spoken to Thomas about returning.

"I'm from Utah," Doleac said. "[But] it would be good coming back. I'm waiting to see how it all pans out. I loved playing with Steph [Stephon Marbury]. I'm waiting."

Thomas is making a hard charge at a bigger fish at center - Dampier - but Indiana, Memphis and even Detroit, if the Wallace deal falls through, are front-runners.

Thomas believes Mutombo is too old to build a team around, and despite Nazr Mohammed's acquisition, still wants more depth in the pivot.

The chances of Dampier landing in New York are slim, but it's better odds than Thomas' chances of getting Wallace today. The Knicks have been extreme longshots for Wallace for weeks.

But the Knicks' ability to sign him as a free agent for the projected $5.1 million mid-level exception could be damaged if Detroit acquires him today from Atlanta. As one GM said, "I think when it's all over, Detroit will get him."

Multiple league executives said Detroit is the front-runner with their package of expiring contracts - Darvin Ham, Zeljko Rebraca, Bobby Sura, Lindsay Hunter and Tremaine Fowlkes and a first-rounder.

The Hawks want expiring contracts and it must total close to $16 million to make it work salary-cap wise. The Knicks have only one - Kurt Thomas' $5.5M. Isiah Thomas' only hope is to get three, four, five teams involved in what would be Isiah's greatest coup.

If Wallace stays put in Atlanta, he won't re-sign. If Wallace becomes a Piston, all bets are off. Detroit could sway him with a close-to-maximum contract.

Marbury enjoyed working the pick-and-roll with Doleac. Utah can use help up front, and GM Kevin O'Connor likes Doleac's local angle.

As the Knicks practiced, Isiah Thomas was holed up in his office. Through the blinds, you could make out a phone glued to Isiah's ear.

"I can't control my future," Mutombo said. "I know it's a tough situation. You want to be relaxed and make sure you don't go crazy."

MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote