Thread: Equal Rights
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2004, 01:58 PM   #69
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:Equal Rights

MadApe the constitution does not address marriage directly. I searched throughout it and the amendments without finding any reference to marriage. Now surely there are numerous items in the constitution which indirectly apply to the topic being discussed here. However those items are open at least somewhat to interpretation. Of course the constitution was only meant to be a framework for our government, and was never meant to be a exacting detail document.

Now I don't know who you are referring specifically to as using quotes from the Bible as their basis of their argument on opposing same sex marriage, but I have not see it here in this thread. Websters still is a valid reference, because to understand the constitution and the rest of our laws we need to understand the language that they are written in. A dictionary gives us the way to precisely and concisely provide definitions to key words. But all it is used for is to provide definiton for words. Certainly the dictionary is not our laws, but it does help us understand our laws.