View Single Post
Old 03-02-2004, 05:59 PM   #15
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:separation of Church/State (unless you don't like Church policy)

Mavdog is should make no difference if all the representatives or even if most representatives were Catholic. This was a charity, run to provide a service to the community and extend the Catholic church's beliefs, not to garner some profit. By determining that a certain percentage of the employees must be Catholic, the government is in fact dictating how the Catholic church can practice their religion. It may very well be as part of their outreach to the community is to provide jobs to those not of their faith.

Quote:
The ruling was based on the fact that the employees who sought the birth control are not catholic, it is about the freedom of those employees to NOT have the Catholic Church impose its beliefs on them.
The employees were not prevented from using birth control before this ruling. Just the Catholic church didn't want to pay for it. The employees were free to terminate employment at any time. So in no way was the Catholic Church imposing their beliefs on their employees. The woman had many choices, the Catholic church was left with exceedingly few. Basically the Church could comply or they could cease the practice of their religion. The woman could have paid for contraception herself. She could have taken another job where contraception would have been paid for her. She could have requested that he sexaul partner pay for or provide the contraception. Just because someone won't give you something does not mean that they are imposing their will on you. If you don't give me 20 dollars, you aren't forcing your will on me. If my employer won't pay for my internet connection or my nonprescription allergy medicine above and beyond my normal wages, it certainly doesn't mean that they are are denying me my rights. No one was forcing the woman to do anything. However the government is forcing the Catholic church to do something that is against the religious principles.

Perhaps the church should just fire the woman. However if they did this I'm sure the same judges would continue their agenda and force the church the hire the woman back. People should be free to practice the tenants of their religion without government intervention unless they are unduely upsurping the rights of others. It is not a basic right to recieve free contraception.