View Single Post
Old 03-03-2004, 05:59 PM   #25
sturm und drang
Golden Member

sturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura about
Default RE:Kerry Vows to Repair Foreign Relations

Nothing scares me more than our incredibly myopic "screw the world, we don't need 'em, they're all wrong and we're right" mentality. It's this kind of heavy-handed approach that will continue to spawn terrorist groups for years and years to come.

It's like a 21st century version of Hercules and Hydra: for every head we chop off, two more sprout in its place.

We have to mend our international relationships. If we don't, WE are the rogue nation. Our tongue-wagging, chest-thumping "we're America, and we don't need you" is nothing more than pure stupidity. We can't fight a war on terror by ourselves. Remember the response of our allies after 9/11? Remember how many Al-Qaeda terrorists Germany, France, etc. rounded up in its wake?

Just because those countries wouldn't support a war against Iraq -- a war they wouldn't support, remember, because they were rightly unconvinced Iraq was sponsoring terror, harboring terrorists or had WMD -- doesn't mean they can't help us fight terror. They have done that, and will continue to do so.

This Brave New World is a nefarious, amorphous one without borders. We all know that. So how can we think that we can win it without a network of true allies? Bush's "diplomacy" -- something even his staunchest of supporters admit he is sorely, sorely lacking -- has cost us dearly. It's time to try to repair those relationships. Before it's too late, and we're left trying to fight true terrorism by ourselves.