View Single Post
Old 03-09-2004, 04:09 AM   #63
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:The Official: Antoine Walker SUCKS thread

Ranks #19 in the NBA in Defensive Rebounds
Ranks #19 in the NBA in Defensive Rebounds Per Game
Ranks #18 in the NBA in Double-doubles
Ranks #2 in the NBA in Triple-doubles
Efficiency Ranking: + 17.60
Season Averages of 15.0 ppg, 8.6 rpg, and 4.9 apg

That was a damned fine post, PubaNWO. I also think it is high time folks should cut Walker a little slack.

The Employee has long been accustomed to being the primary or secondary scoring option in Boston, and I find it highly commendable that he has done his best to try to remold and rein in his game to fit in with our Mavs. Because of that, it really angers me that since his aquisition he has gotten little or no support or respect from the fans in the stands or from the jabbering mouths of the Dallas media. I have a strong hunch that all of the stupid mid-season trade rumors, as well as all of the derision and groaning that inevitably emanates from our American Arena crowd following any missed Walker three pointer or turnover have a lot to do with this current slump, and it angers me to no end that the man has received such little respect here.

Earlier this season when Dirk was slumping and injured, Walker did one heck of a good job in helping to keep this Mavs boat afloat. He filled up the stat sheets with rebounds, scoring, and his often beautiful assists, and he did so when we desperately needed that kind of production on our gelling and often hapless team (Throughout much of October and November Dirk wasn't Dirk, Najera played like a limping dog turd, and Finley was in his usual early season slump). Now that Dirk is back, Finley is playing at a supremely high level, and Jamison, Najera, and our reigning SEC and ACC Players of the Year, Daniels and Howard (not to mention fellow object of fan-hatred Fortson) all need PT, Toine is having a hard time finding his role and he gets absolutely no support or respect from the fans as he is trying his darndest to do it.

He is frustrated and I strongly believe that he deserves a little bit of leeway and support as he does his best to help our team succeed.

He is not responsible for the last three losses, he has done his best to fit in with this team and do whatever Don and the coaching staff have asked him to do, and I continue to believe that his contributions are going to be necessarily critical to our hopes for playoff success this year.

Antoine Walker, the Dallas Mavericks' leading rebounder, has brought us a very efficient 15.0 ppg, 8.6 rpg, and 4.9 apg to replace Raef's disapointing 02-03 averages of 9.3 ppg, 4.8 rpg, and 0.8 apg, while helping to transform the Mavs into one of the best rebounding teams in the NBA. And that is why I say that any fan who asserts that he would rather have a crippled, bone-on-bone kneed Raef, and a soft shooter who wouldn't get off the bench in Jiri is a purblind fool.

The trade that subtracted Nick's fire and Avery Johnson's leadership in exchange for the younger abilities of Jamison is the trade that gutted the heart of last year's overachieving and wonderful Mavs team, not the Boston trade. It frustrates me to see these Mavs not show the heart and will to win of last year's team, but it is wholly unfair to blame that loss on the presence or aquisition of Antoine. The trade that netted us Walker (and if worst comes to worst, his valuable expiring contract), was pure gravy. We exchanged a broken disapointment and a decent but one-dimensional combo guard prospect for a relatively young, and very talented all-star. This was a trade of bad for good; Injury, underachievement, and "soft" play given up for rebounding, inspired passing, and playoff experience.

Sure Walker has recently had a few bad games as he has tried to find his role in the endlessly shifting and confusing rotations that have marked this year's Mavs team, but I think his earlier strong play and proven willingness to fit in on this team mandates that he should deserve a bit more respect and consideration than many feckless internet and game-attending Mavs fans seem to be giving him lately. I for one find this Walker-scapegoating, bandwagoning, tar-and-feather parade to be absolutely shameful.