View Single Post
Old 03-26-2004, 03:44 PM   #13
southern_sweets
Diamond Member

southern_sweets will become famous soon enoughsouthern_sweets will become famous soon enough
Default RE:(Warning: Indirect electoral issue) Bill criminalizes violent harm to fetus

Quote:
Originally posted by: sturm und drang
I'll tell you what it is: a fetus. Not a person.

This is, to me, incredibly troubling. What a woman chooses to do with her body is her choice.

The majority of women in this country are pro-choice. We take Roe v. Wade for granted; I can't tell you how many women I've spoken with who are just incredulous that it could ever be overturned. I hope this proves to be a wake up call to all women. If Bush stays in office, we are very much at risk of losing the right to decide what happens to our own bodies.
This is very scary. A "free" country forcing women to give birth against their will. Not to mention, many right to life groups also strongly oppose contraception. If the US defines an embryo, from the moment of conception, as a ;legal person contraceptive methods such as the IUD would be illegal, and even the legality of birth control pills could be challenged. Imagine having to go to another state or country to obtain birth controls pills or getting your IUD in Mexico (Sorry Chiwas) or on the black market.

It just amazes me that the republicans are so concerned for fetuses and embryos, but have consistently for decades voted against programs offering prenatal care and health care for children of low income families. I guess they aren't concerned for the "unborn child" after birth.
southern_sweets is offline   Reply With Quote