View Single Post
Old 04-12-2004, 03:00 PM   #4
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Newsweek poll out, Bush slips further

Quote:
Originally posted by: Dooby
Quote:
Originally posted by: kg_veteran
Quote:
Princeton Survey Research Associates interviewed 1,005 adults aged 18 and older April 8 and 9 by telephone.
I'm not criticizing the results of this particular poll, but this is why polls of this nature, in general, are unreliable. The sample size is incredibly small and cannot possibly represent how the general voting populace might vote in November.

One way or the other.
The size of the sample is not really a problem. Statistically, polls are usually pretty accurate. But the poll is fatally flawed. The poll is a poll of "adults" and not "likely voters" or even "registered voters". Bush is leading in every poll of "likely voters" that I have seen.
I'll defer to you on political polls because of your superior expertise in this area, but from a common-sense perspective, I think that the poll is only accurate if it fairly reflects a cross-section of those that will vote. And you pointed out a fatal flaw that I didn't. It doesn't fairly represent that cross-section, because they weren't even necessarily polling people that could/will vote.

And assuming it was a poll of registered voters, I'd still like to know where they were from, what they do for a living, and any of a number of other variables that aren't set forth. Also, and probably most importantly, I'd like to know WHEN this poll was taken. If it's a poll of people sitting at home during the middle of the day, I sincerely doubt that it accurately reflects the majority of people likely to vote in November.