View Single Post
Old 04-22-2004, 12:55 PM   #104
NYCdog

NYCdog will become famous soon enoughNYCdog will become famous soon enough
Default RE:The Official "Knicks to the Lottery" Thread

Knick fan here............I've seen and read through this thread for quite awhile and have been silent long enough. Time to go on the defenseive..........

Quote:
Then he went off about how he was disappointed that none of his teammates backed him up on the play. Uhm.....TT, I think that means they DON'T have your back....they DON'T like you enough to incur a fine and/or suspension. Zeke has just slapped so many spare parts together that don't particularly fit, that there's not really any particular chemistry or bond.
Let me ask you something.............Do you honestly think that from Feb 15 to now was enough time to build chemistry for this team?

As many Mav fans here know, it took the Mavs nearly half the damn season to find a bit of chemistry. It takes some teams even longer.

With all the moves Zeke has made through this season, I didn’t really expect that much, if any, chemistry to exist between the players on this team. If you did, that tells me you have never played a team sport that required playing a length of time equivelent to regular seasons in certain sports. Just because you cobble together good or bad parts doesn’t mean chemistry will exist between them immediately overnight. That takes time to build. Give this team a whole season together and I guarantee you they will have it and stick up for each other.

Quote:
That's another problem--Thomas has put together some fragile, LOW-IQ "talent" like Tim Thomas, and Marbury. And he deserves to be judged as harshly for his managerial mistakes as Layden was for his. No free passes.
1.........If Marbs is such a fragile "talent" then how did he become the heart and soul of the Suns last season? According to your assessment, they should have crashed and burned with Marbs instead of push the eventual champs Spurs to the brink in the playoffs.

2.........If this team was so fragile, then they shouldn’t have been in the playoffs to begin with.

Think about it........A fragile team spiraling downward late in the season, playing in the biggest, most pressure packed media market in the country with teams following close behind them should have "caved in" to the pressure and missed the playoffs.

But this fragile team pulled it together in March instead of panicking. For that, their now in the playoffs. For that, they shouldn’t be considered as fragile.

3.........True, Zeke deserves to be judged as harshly for his managerial mistakes as Layden was for his. All general managers deserved to be judged on the same scale........its only fair.

But there's a big difference between Zeke's performance and Layden that your missing...........Layden made no successful moves at all during his tenure. Zeke's got one to his credit True, I agree Zeke might have made one too many moves and that the TT deal wasn’t a good one.

But you have to admit, Zeke's deal for Marbury breathed life into what was at the time, a life-less franchise. Before that deal, any talk of making the playoffs was totally absurd as the team presently had a 14-23 record. Since Marbs was acquired, this team hasn’t been the same. They've been much better to watch and stomach then that crap Layden assembled together and called a team.

In my view, your being way too harsh on Zeke. You forget that Layden created this whole mess from top to bottom, not Zeke. For Zeke to manage to turn this franchise around and actually make the playoffs, is an accomplishment that deserves a "free pass" in itself. Because this team definitely wasn’t making the playoffs before Zeke got here, regardless of how weak and pathetic the East is.

Furthermore, you haven’t even given Zeke nearly enough time to totally clean up this mess up. You say Zeke should be judged the same way as Layden was. Well Zeke should be entitled to have the same 5 years Layden miraculously had to either successfully clear this mess up or fail and create an even bigger nightmare. But you haven’t even given Zeke half-a-season to prove himself.

I'm reserving my judgment of Zeke for next season so I can see what moves he makes this off-season and see what it conspires to on the court. I think you should do the same and give the man a damn chance.