View Single Post
Old 04-24-2004, 02:49 AM   #9
mavs413
Golden Member

mavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the rough
Default RE:Pat Tillman Former AZ Cardinal; current Army Ranger- KIA in Afghanistan.

This certainly was very sad news to me, to everybody here in the Valley of the Sun, and accross the country.

Arizona State University will retire his number, 42, during a game against Washington this year.
The Cardinals are going to retire his number, 40, in a game next season also.

It was never about the money to him and thats very rare in a person in today's society. He was a very selfless person and I dont think he would want all this attention that he is getting from his death, even though it is very appropriate, as he thought of himself as just another guy in the crowd.

Some little things about Pat to get a better understanding about the person he was.

He would study and do homework inside a lit up ASU football stadium. A marketing major, he carried a 3.8 grade point average through college and graduated with summa cum laude honors after 3 1/2 years.
His first purchase when he got his first NFL contract was a mountain bike, not a BMW or a Benz, but a bike. He would ride his bike to his practices many times.
During a high school football game, his team was ahead by a lot and his coach sat all of the starters. Tillman kept sneaking back into the game, because he didnt want to stop playing. The coaches eventually took his pads away to keep him out of the game.
He ran a marathon and participated in a 70-mile triathlon, just to see whether he could do it or not.
The St. Louis Rams offered Tillman a five-year, $9 million contract when he was a free agent after the 2001 season, but Tillman stayed with the Cardinals, who were paying him $572,000 a year.

He was not only a great football player(Pac-10 defensive player of the year in College and a Pro Bowl safety in the NFL) , but he was a very special person as well and he will be missed by many.

My condolences go out to Pat's family and friends.
Rest In peace Pat Tillman.
mavs413 is offline   Reply With Quote