View Single Post
Old 04-24-2004, 01:56 PM   #8
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:Why the Race is Looking so Good for Bush

Quote:
I'm pointing out the irony of what Fineman said. IMHO many of the problems our troops have faced, such as the insurgents who continue to operate in cities like Fallujah, and the presence of militias, very well could have been avoided with better post attack planning. Who made those plans? Hence the irony...
Well, this is fine, really. But in this case, this is your imposing an interpretation on Fineman's writing, which I didn't and don't see. It continues to be interesting to me how opponents of the United States' presence in Iraq predicted a long, drawn-out, bloody quagmire. That didn't happen. So then they retreated to criticizing a "lack of post-war planning". They themselves wouldn't have even gotten that far, because they, presumably, would have planned for a quagmire. But they feel free to criticize the Bush administration, in effect criticizing it for the sucess of its original plan. They magnify the extent of the opposition in Fallujah, with the gloomiest-and-doomiest scenarios. When the terrorist uprisings are quelled, opponents will move on to a newly manufacted criticism. There will be criticism, no matter what the accomplishment, no matter how successfully a plan is carried out. That is political opposition, however, not principled opposition.

Quote:
It wouldn't use the term "capitalizing" but benefiting might fit. I don't agree that GWBush will win because they sincerely believe and understand that the Iraq invasion is protecting our national security, I believe the voters know that when you're as deep into this as we are we can't cut and run.
Such cynicism--you could be me. I definitely would not want the coalition forces to "cut and run", but I don't think they have to either. Similarly, I don't think they have to go all supplicant with the United Nations either, as Kerry would seem to promise. I think that more voters will support Bush because they believe that his administration's policies are the right course to pursue, though, rather than out of cynical expediency.

Quote:
You mean Gore2000's Bush41?
Yeah, I think I corrected that.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote