View Single Post
Old 04-28-2004, 07:41 PM   #24
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Where's the outrage?

Quote:
Originally posted by: Max Power
Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
Quote:
And how many insults did YOU throw out there? You certainly implied that you were smarter than "most people". Is that the best way to have an intelligent discussion?
please point out where I said I was smarter than most people? and where did I insult anyone.
Quote:
If conservatives were put under the same scrutiny, it would be obvious that we could find single, fringe individuals who are bad with words and then we could vilify them as the craziness of the conservative ideology. The logic is way off and that is what you are doing here. Not only that you are attempting to create an emotional rather than a rational response to the issue which makes debate impossible, you are making the issue dangerously oversimplified. That scares me out of my wits as someone who has studied politics, history and philosophy.
You certainly implied here that only YOU have studied politics, history, and philosophy. I have studied those subjects as well and what scares me is when a country becomes too concerned with placating EVERY voice.
I never assumed that I was more educated than anyone. I was only using history and political ideology as a basis for my argument. It seems you confuse silencing voices with placating every voice. I don't demand to be heard and I dont demand that my opinion be acted upon. I demand that my opinion be represented in the American democracy. It is the voice of millions and I demand that it not be silenced by people that think arguing against the President are outside the democracy. How is placating bad for the country anyway?
Quote:

Quote:
The larger issue is that dissenters are now being called unamerican and haters of America. That is not only abusive, it is moronic to believe that the issues are that simple. Debate is the fuel for dialectic and democracy. Vilifying a position as outside the realm of debate detroys all intelligible debate and weakens our democracy.
Some positions ARE simple.
unfortunately this one is not.
Quote:

Quote:
I am a liberal. I know the issues in the Middle East are more complex than most people understand and I did not support the war in Iraq on the grounds that Bush provided. Call me unamerican. I dare you.
Now you are again saying that MOST people don't know the issues. That is rather elitist.
So be it. YOU say the issue is simple but I can bring in many articles from many people in Iraq, people in the educated community, and even people within the Bush administration who say that the situation is much more complex than most people think. You think it is simple? You are way off. Even I dont know the full complexity of the issue.

EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote