uberfan
Golden Member

uberfan has a spectacular aura aboutuberfan has a spectacular aura about
Default RE:Don't blow up Mavs; fix them - By Randy Galloway

Quote:
Originally posted by: dalmations202
Quote:
Originally posted by: uberfan
I vote to fix it over blowing it up. Unfortunately, in the process of fixing it a blow up may occur. Firing Nellie likely means a total coaching staff makeover.

If Nash is not resigned because he gets too much from Utah or Toronto, then we need a new PG.

No guarantees we can resign Daniels no matter how badly we want to.

How many bad contracts to we have to take back to trade Walker.

If we lose Nash, should we go ahead and try to move Fin, forcing Dirk to become the main guy?

This may be the most interesting off-season yet.
I vote for fixing it up as well. Of course that may mean blowing it up to fix it, but hey. Here is my opinion whether it ends tonight, or they win it all.

Have actual meetings with the players, and find out what they think happened this year, and how to fix it. You may not take their advice, but at least you will know what they are thinking, and they will respect you for listening. Nash may not want to resign if Nellie is gone. Dirk may have hated trying to work with player X. Walker may think that Dell Harris's Defense totally screwed them. Don't make rash decisions, but make thorough and sound decisions based upon everyone's input, and the "cost" to make that decision.

Don't make one person a scapegoat (if you do, you have already messed up the team concept). If you make changes, make sure you make the changes to better the team. That goes for coaches and players. Making changes to make changes just keeps everyone on edge, and none feeling security at their job.

Find the problems, develop a strategy to FIX the problems, and then move to fix the problems.
---------------------------------------

Problems that need addressing, IMO:
1) Center position: Need to upgrade and coach needs to play them
2) Walker : he doesn't fit......good player, but doesn't fit this team....use him as a trading chip for 1.
3) Defense : It needs to be the most important thing from now on
4) Attitude : From Coach down, need to be humble, but not have that inferiority attitude heard from Nellie quite often.
5) Nowitzki needs to take over as the LEADER of this team. If that is forced by moving Fin, then fine, but Dirk has to take over, and this team needs to rally around Dirk, not the Big 3 or 5 or anything.
It may be a good idea to meet one-on-one with the players. Give them a chance to blow off steam, although I think it is very clear what needs to be done. We go into this off-season with the same needs we have had for the last few off-seasons.

1. Solid center rotation. You pointed this out as well, however it is imperative that the coach play that rotation.
2. Solid backup PG who can become the starter sans Nash. Can trading Walker get us a decent role player at C and a solid (not necessarily All-Star) PG?
3. Consistent SF play on both ends of the court. I am not sure Howard is the answer and Jamison is not the defender we need, but both can be counted on to contribute at SF if we do not get a significant upgrade here.
4. Attitude: coach sets the tone. Coach needs to understand this and be responsible for setting the tone.
5. Dirk should be the number one option. He needs to be surrounded by solid role players. The basic starter kit is here. But I wonder if Dirk will ever step forward as long as Fin is a starter here.
uberfan is offline   Reply With Quote