View Single Post
Old 04-30-2004, 01:32 AM   #3
Rod1975
Golden Member

Rod1975 is on a distinguished road
Default RE:Why do the Mavs not have a definitive go to guy?

In my opinion, the Mavericks entire mentality eliminates the idea of a go-to guy.

I'll explain....

1)Nash and Nowitzki don't want to alienate Finley.

2)Nellie wants to keep everyone happy.

3)Too many big chiefs and not enough little indians....we need fewer players that crave the ball and more players that play the game without the ball. The reason the Mavericks are so good and talented yet still lose is because...this is key... they don't play good, smart, solid off the ball basketball, period. We need more players that know how to play without the ball.

4) As long as Finley is a Maverick, loyalty to him will dictate the fact that no one will take on his mantle as the so-called "leader" of this team.

5) And this is the hardest to swallow, Dirk refuses to rock the boat and be demanding as he should be.
MJ, Bird, and Magic all asolutely demanded effort from their teammates as well as the ball in crunch time. Dirk absolutely won't assume anything even closely resembling that kind of authority as long as Finley is a Maverick.