Thread: A little debate
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2004, 04:04 PM   #12
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:A little debate

Quote:
How does he at least get back to to the 2002-2003 level?
1. He has to play the PF spot.

In 2002-2003, Raef and Shawn ate up nearly all the center minutes. Dirk didn't have to serve as the last line of defense, and he was a better player for it. It's no surprise that he was free to grab a lot more defensive rebounds (8.9 per game vs. 7.5 per game this year) in 2002-2003 when he wasn't the only guy on the floor capable of challenging penetrators to the goal. Also, not so coincidentally, the Mavericks FG% defense was significantly better in 2002-2003.

2. He has to get more shot attempts.

I know that sounds like beating the same dead horse, but the stats bear it out. He's a very efficient offensive player (one of the most efficient in the league), and the more he touches (and shoots) the ball, the better off the Mavs are.

3. He has to get back to the line a bit more.

Dirk got to the line 6.8 times per game in 2002-2003. He only got there 5.5 times per game in 2003-2004. Part of that is fewer touches; part of that is Dirk not taking it to the hole as much. The two main statistical reasons that Dirk's PPS dropped just a bit in 2003-2004 were that he shot a lower percentage from three-point range (something that seemed to correct itself in the latter part of the season) and he didn't get to the line as much.

Quote:
From that point, how does he take the next step?
1. Dirk has to continue to improve defensively.

Dirk improved his shotblocking numbers this year, mostly because he was challenging more shots. His defensive rebounding numbers went down significantly, mostly because he was challenging more shots.

I think his defensive play in the playoffs was actually pretty good, which is a step in the right direction.

For Dirk to really show improvement on the defensive end, it just has to be a matter of concentration. He should rarely be asked to guard a primary scorer on the opposing team (what top player is?), and he rarely is, but he needs to focus on playing solid man-to-man defense and excellent team defense. Sometimes I get the impression that he thinks he can get it back on the other end. Certainly, he can in most instances, but when he is focused on the defensive end, he can actually be an asset rather than a liability. He'll never be a "shutdown" guy. But he doesn't have to be. He just has to provide good help defense and not get consistently beaten by his man. I think that's something he can definitely do.

2. Dirk has to develop a "go-to" move.

While he's one of the most unguardable players in the game, Dirk really doesn't have one of these. Tim Duncan has his hook shot and his bank shot from the angle. Kobe Bryant can free himself for a jumpshot whenever he wants. Dirk needs to develop a move, preferably a post move, that allows him to get a good look against single coverage, regardless of who the defender is.

3. Dirk has to assume complete leadership of the team.

Rightly or wrongly, Dirk has deferred in some respects to Fin and perhaps even to Nash. That has to stop. When Dirk speaks and really means it, people will listen. If he steps up and demands something from the team, they're going to back him, especially if he demands it of himself.

Honestly, this is the one thing that I'm not certain he can or will develop. The others, I think will happen over time.