View Single Post
Old 05-24-2004, 03:02 PM   #2
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of
Default RE:Krauthammer argues for gas tax

The pivotal question is if the tax code should be used to further a policy. I'd anticipate that you Ape are a flat tax advocate, no?

The long accepted view is yes, and the code is full of breaks for special interests as well as for specific industries (surprisingly the one's who were large givers to candidates...)

If one agrees that the code should be a tool to acheive a policy goal, then by all means the gasoline tax should be raised to diminish consumption of oil. That would however produce a negative affect on the US automakers who have devoted a great deal of their production and profit making on large SUVs, rather than spending R&D budgets to develop more fuel efficient engines/vehicles, not to mention the companies who are enjoying the greatest profit margins this side of Microsoft, the oil industry

I've expected the increase in gas prices to be a campaign issue, and I still believe it will happen. Just imagine if a candidate were to actually come out publically for an increase in the gas tax while the consumers are hunting for bear due to this small ncrease we are experiencing. Just not gonna happen...the electorate isn't smart enough to see the wisdom.
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote