Thread: NJ Trade???
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2004, 08:11 AM   #17
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:NJ Trade???

Quote:
Originally posted by: chumdawg
I don't understand, PE, about "trading the whole roster." Couldn't the Nets just toss one player into the deal, to make the figures work? Somebody like a Wahad, whose cap figure was high but had no on-the-court value? What, do they have nobody like that? I'm just not sure I understand why this trade is a no-go without trading rosters.
I hate to see you guys struggling to grasp whether or not this is a feasible idea, and it is... Martin is definitely worth more in the open market than Jamison though, so to make it work, Dallas would have to take back a bad contract to make NJ bite. I think this trade would work out for everyone:

Dallas trades: SF Antawn Jamison (14.8 ppg, 6.3 rpg, 0.9 apg in 29.0 minutes)
Dallas receives: PF Kenyon Martin (16.7 ppg, 9.5 rpg, 2.5 apg in 34.6 minutes)
C Alonzo Mourning (8.0 ppg, 2.3 rpg, 0.7 apg in 17.9 minutes)
Change in team outlook: +9.9 ppg, +5.5 rpg, and +2.3 apg.

New Jersey trades: PF Kenyon Martin (16.7 ppg, 9.5 rpg, 2.5 apg in 34.6 minutes)
C Alonzo Mourning (8.0 ppg, 2.3 rpg, 0.7 apg in 17.9 minutes)
New Jersey receives: SF Antawn Jamison (14.8 ppg, 6.3 rpg, 0.9 apg in 82 games)
Change in team outlook: -9.9 ppg, -5.5 rpg, and -2.3 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Due to Dallas and New Jersey being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. Dallas and New Jersey had to be no more than 115% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.