View Single Post
Old 06-02-2004, 05:17 PM   #78
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of
Default RE:New Kerry Campaign Slogan

Quote:
Originally posted by: madape
Sometimes, your lack of common sense really suprises me. You stated that you don't want the US to buy oil today, because the prices are higher than they were a few months ago. Well when do you want to buy the oil? The time machine hasn't been invented yet. We can't fly back to 2003, load up the oil and bring it back home. The only fucking choices we have are

1) buy oil now
2) buy oil in the future
3) never buy oil again

Clearly you don't want to buy oil now (option #1), because you think prices are at a "zenith". I don't know if you know this, but a "zenith" means that prices are the highest they will EVER be. This is what you meant.. right?
No, zenith has no connotation of what we don't know i.e. what the future might be, but rather what we do know of the present and past.

Quote:
The implied statement is that oil prices will soon go down, meaning that the US could save money by filling up the reserves with cheaper oil at sometime in the future (option #2). So we WERE talking about current prices of oil UNTIL you started talking about deferring purchasing oil due to temporarily high petroleum prices.
History of commodity pricing says that there is fluctuation, so it is a reasonable assumption that the high prices we are seeing will adjust. Will they go down? yes, that is a reasonable prediction based on historical data. If you believe "that oil prices will soon go down" you're entitled. I do not make those predictions as to if the price will "soon" go down.

Quote:
I say fuck that. It is very likely that oil prices go nowhere but up over the next few years. Your little gamble would look like shit when Saudi crude hits $80 a barrel.
Actually the price is based on West Texas Intermediate crude, Saudi crude is not the same.

Quote:
The point is that the US shouldn't be speculating on commodity fluctuations. If they need petrolium, they should buy it at market prices.
But your above rationale for buying is based on just that premise you dismiss in saying "the US shouldn't be speculating on commodity fluctuations". You contradict yourself.

Quote:
As for your first retarded critism of my semantics regarding "protection", I have this to say: The SPR protects our economy, our military capabilities, and our ability to defend ourselves, from an attack on the global oil supply. I don't think that point needs any further clarification.
You said the SPR is there to "protect ourselves against an attack", and "against an oil embargo/terrorist attack". It does neither, and if you see a 30 day supply of oil as saving "our military capabilities", it would be even less than a 30 day supply.
wow. what protection.
you're fooling yourself.
In deference to those mentally impaired people I wouldn't dream of calling your assertions "retarded". Inane yes, unrealistic surely, self deceiving certainly, but retarded? nah...why put those mentally impaired in the same place as you?
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote