View Single Post
Old 06-22-2004, 07:30 AM   #10
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Bobcats swing Deal

Quote:
Originally posted by: Poindexter Einstein
Quote:
Originally posted by: kg_veteran
They don't have anywhere close to $20m/year in cap space, which is what it would take to get Kobe.
The Clippers actually are pretty close, though they have other choices that they are more likely to opt for. They right now (after moving Drobnjak) have about 30 committed for 2004-05 against an estimated 44-45 cap, leaving about 14-15 available. Kobe's max should be $14,172,375 if my math is correct.

Their team cap space has lots of other factors though. They would have to renounce their RFAs and Team Option players and exceptions (and draft picks most likely) to still have 14.17 left for Kobe. But TECHNICALLY it looks right now like they could make Kobe a max offer if they prefer.
This is what I was getting at. The draft pick still costs $2.5m against the cap, and Dooling and Richardson are RFAs. They can renounce their RFAs and team option players, but they're stuck with that 1st rounder's salary, unless of course they just renounce the pick. I can't see them doing that.