View Single Post
Old 06-23-2004, 08:41 AM   #13
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:T-Mac to Houston

McGrady-to-Rockets trade hits snag, report says

Magic balking because Francis has made
it clear he doesn't want to be dealt
Orlando Magic star Tracy McGrady has led the NBA in scoring twice.

NBCSports.com news services
Updated: 12:29 a.m. ET June 23, 2004

A proposed trade that would send Orlando Magic superstar Tracy McGrady to the Houston Rockets for Steve Francis, Cuttino Mobley and Kelvin Cato is treading water because Francis has made it clear he doesn't want to play in Orlando, the New York Times reported Tuesday night.

Francis has caused the Magic to reconsider the deal, even though he is under contract for several years and has no veto power over trades, The Times reported.

Magic general manager John Weisbrod has several league executives and player agents baffled because he seemingly is capitulating to Francis.

“John Weisbrod is setting a bad precedent by caving in to this guy," one agent, speaking on condition of anonymity, told The Times.

The Magic moved into serious discussions with the Phoenix Suns on Tuesday night but apparently are not interested in anything the Indiana Pacers have offered.

The Times reported that the Suns have offered All-Star small forward Shawn Marion, potential All-Star shooting guard Joe Johnson and their first-round pick Thursday (No. 7 overall) for McGrady. The Magic also have the No. 1 pick overall in the draft.

The Pacers apparently are willing to offer anyone but Jermaine O'Neal, but Pacers president Larry Bird said Tuesday the Magic wasn't interested, even though he believes his package of players is better than what the Rockets offered.

When it is all said and done, however, McGrady probably will end up with the Rockets because he said Houston is the only team he will stay with long-term, The Times reported. The Magic would send Tyronn Lue, Juwan Howard, Reece Gaines and possibly Andrew DeClerq to the Rockets.

McGrady, who is able to opt out of his contract after next season, has tremendous leverage because he can threaten to leave any team that trades for him after just one year. If the trade happens, it is believed the Magic might turn around and trade Francis, The Times reported.

Francis clearly is miffed about the possibility of being moved out of Houston.

"I thought we were really building something, something very good in Houston," Francis told the Houston Chronicle on Monday. "Obviously that's not the direction they want to go. I still think we could be a very good team.

"I'm not crying. Like I told you before, I know this is a business. Things like that happen. I'm not mad. I'm not upset. This is what they're trying to do. But like I said, I still think we could be something."

"Steve's preference is to not go to Orlando," Jeff Fried, Francis' agent, told the Chronicle. "Steve's tasted the playoffs. (The Rockets) got a series under their belts. He was looking forward to going further with the same Rockets team but with another year of experience together. This is certainly not his preference. He loves Houston.

"Steve loved the fans and his teammates. He's very friendly with Cuttino, but also pretty friendly with Yao. Many of us thought the beginnings of something there big with a great center and great point guard."

© 2004 NBC Sports.com

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote