View Single Post
Old 06-30-2004, 05:18 PM   #17
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Finally: Magic deal McGrady for Francis

Interesting snippet. McGrady didn't feel wanted.....hmmmmm I can't imagine why not. He trashed his entire team on television and told everyone he was going to opt out next year. After the interview he did during the Maverick game, I kinda felt like he was a sorry individual.

Quote:

McGrady: Weisbrod forced me out; Francis excited to play for Orlando

BY JOHN DENTON
FLORIDA TODAY

ORLANDO -- Tracy McGrady's family was asking him to stay in Orlando and there was his new mansion under construction also to consider, but he just couldn't bring himself to stay in an organization where he thought he wasn't wanted. McGrady's personality differences with new Orlando Magic general manager John Weisbrod led to his asking to leave, and that wish was granted Tuesday when the blockbuster seven-player trade between the Magic and Houston Rockets finally came to fruition.

The Magic sent McGrady, Juwan Howard, Tyronn Lue and Reece Gaines to the Rockets in exchange for Steve Francis, Cuttino Mobley and Kelvin Cato in a deal that has been in the works for more than a week.
Undoubtedly, McGrady is the centerpiece in the trade. He has led the NBA in scoring the past two seasons, averaging 32.1 points in 2003 and 28 points last season. He could have opted out of his seven-year, $93 million contract after next season and the Magic were fearful of losing the four-time All-Star without getting any compensation.

Such was the case when franchise center Shaquille O'Neal left the Magic in 1996 for the Los Angeles Lakers. The Magic suffered through a disastrous 21-61 season last year and much of the blame was put on McGrady, who was named team captain just prior to training camp opening. He tired of the Magic's inability to add significant pieces around him and grew frustrated with the franchise's inability to win a playoff series. Also, McGrady clashed regularly with Weisbrod, who took over as general manager in March, and ultimately he felt he was no longer wanted.

"I felt (Weisbrod) definitely wanted me out of here," McGrady told FLORIDA TODAY on Tuesday. "I kind of had my mind made up (to leave) when the season ended and I sort of felt like they wanted me to leave anyway.

"But if you're the GM and your star player is thinking about leaving you do everything from calling to visiting his house or even asking him to wait because you think Grant Hill is finally healthy. But none of that ever happened. I felt like they could care less if I stayed."

Rest of Article

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote