View Single Post
Old 07-04-2004, 11:58 PM   #5
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice
Default RE:5 Rangers make all-star team...

Take five: Rangers' quintet picked for All-Star Game

10:24 PM CDT on Sunday, July 4, 2004

By EVAN GRANT / The Dallas Morning News

HOUSTON – Sunday morning, the list of worries confronting manager Buck Showalter only seemed to be growing. His injured list remains longer than lines for most rides at Six Flags. His team was in the midst of a three-game losing streak, brought on by a suddenly struggling pitching staff. And an afternoon date with Andy Pettitte loomed.

So, what was Showalter's take?

"Let's just put it this way: I'm in a pretty good mood," he said.

Rangers/MLB
Rangers 18, Astros 3

July 4th fireworks: Rangers 18, Houston 3

Blalock wouldn't swat away chance at Home Run Derby

All-Star rosters (from MLB.com)
He had just been given a sneak peek at the list of Rangers who made the AL All-Star team for next Tuesday's game in Houston. It had five names on it, a record for Rangers All-Star representation.

Alfonso Soriano was the leading vote-getter in the majors. Third baseman Hank Blalock, shortstop Michael Young and Soriano were named tops at their respective positions by their peers. Pitchers Kenny Rogers and Francisco Cordero also made the team via the players voting.

The entire team seemed to be far more inspired by that news than Saturday's pep talk. With the All-Stars leading the way, the Rangers bashed Houston, 18-3, to capture the mythical Silver Boot trophy. Though the Lone Star Series ended 3-3, the Rangers were declared winners via run differential. Of course, the Silver Boot was a tertiary thought at best Sunday.

Sunday, at the site of next week's All-Star Game, was about the Rangers' All-Stars coming-out party.

With the Rangers leading, 1-0, Young drove in the team's second run in the fourth inning. Soriano followed with a homer. Two innings later, Blalock ended all semblance of this being a competitive game with a pinch-hit grand slam. It was one of six homers hit by the Rangers.

"I think everyone in here, whether they made it or not, is as happy for the guys who made it as they would be for themselves, " said Rogers, who is a long shot to be the All-Star starter. "I think it's an affirmation of where we are going."

Rogers has been to the All-Star Game before, in 1995, and was initially unmoved by the possibility of attending another. Blalock and Soriano both played last year. For Cordero and Young, the first-time All-Stars, the news was quite invigorating.

"I was prepared for anything," said Young, who went 2-for-4 Sunday to raise his average to .331. "But I've always loved the All-Star Game. I've always watched the All-Star Game. It's an unbelievable honor to know that I'm going to be sharing the clubhouse with some of the best players in the game. This is a humbling experience."

Said Cordero, who is second in the AL in saves with 24: "This means a lot to do it in my first year as the full-time closer. And I think to get all five guys shows that we've played great this year, that we've done a great job as a team. It's a good thing. A very good thing."

jayC is offline   Reply With Quote