View Single Post
Old 08-13-2004, 02:30 PM   #8
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future
Default RE:Darryl Dawkins on the difference between "black basketball" and "white basketball"

I think there is certainly some truth in Dawkins' argument, but the difference in styles is as much the difference in learning to play in organized games as on the playground as any Black/White difference.

I'm white, but I learned the playground game and never played much organized ball. So I played by taking guys off the dribble--crossover, spin, hook them, shooting the pull up jumpshot and use the pump fake and separate through contact. No picks, no screens, no give and gos, no set shots and not much passing (unless you could go behind your back or throw a 40 foot bounce pass or whatever).

The team game has to be taught. I don't think anyone naturally plays that way. The problem is you don't see a lot of players, Black or White, who have both the individual skills and know how to play team ball.
SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote