View Single Post
Old 08-17-2004, 06:22 PM   #58
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Hardline reporting a coming trade

Let's get back for just a moment to trying to figure out whether this trade has a chance to happen after all--and if it does, why.

On the surface, it would seem that GW isn't getting enough in return. You would have to figure that at some point along the way they turned down a better offer than this. Couldn't they have had Stromile Swift? Or could they still?

Najera for Esch is a nice deal for them. But Laettner wouldn't seem to be enough for Dampier, even so. Unless, that is, they see Laettner as someone whose value will rise at the deadline. But do they see that as being worth the salary they would take on? Questionable. Henderson would perhaps offer the same sort of value, at less cost to the team.

Of course, they could be getting a draft pick, or picks, in addition to cash considerations. Is that enough to make it worthwhile? Still iffy, I would think. Seems that more players must be moving around here.

Chances are good that if the Hardline is right about this deal, then in fact it does include Charlotte as a third team. This could keep Golden State from taking on any salary for Dampier, and perhaps still netting the pick(s) and cash.

So what would Charlotte's motivation be? Well, that might depend on what they think of Dampier. If they can help land Damp in Dallas, then that does keep him away from the Hawks, who play in their division.

But taking on Laettner or Henderson seems to wreck their flexibility this season, as it puts them right at the salary cap.

I would imagine that Bradley would make a nice addition to the Bobcats roster. He gives them a veteran to help out the youngsters Okafur and Prezec in the frontcourt. Plus, Bernie says that his team is going to stress defense, defense, defense--which would seem to make Bradley more desirable than, say, Stackhouse.

I don't know. I see good reasons for all teams to be interested, but I can't make sense of how exactly everyone can get just what they want.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote