View Single Post
Old 09-01-2004, 06:54 PM   #52
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:Alan Keys calls Cheaney's daughter a Sinner

[quote]
Originally posted by: Mavdog
Quote:
Originally posted by: LRB

again, the quotes are NOT about gay marriage. It was a statement about being homosexual.

so they are not demeaned by the contemptuous phrase "selfish hedonists"? By having others look at homosexuals in that manner is he not spreading that disdane?

you didn't answer the discrimination.
The quote that KG posted was about gay marriage. You posted another article, with no link for fact checking, that appears that he's talking about homosexual relaitons. By relations, I mean sexual releations. So if we strickly define homosexuals as people who have sex with members of their same sex, then your "article" appears to say that Keyes is talking about that limited version of homosexuals. However, this article isn't very reliable because you've precluded links so that it can be fact checked.

Now, lets just assume that Keyes was talking about homosexuals. You're still making a huge leap that he carrying out any act of hate. Simply referring to actions as being selfish and hedonistic does not meet my definition of unjust discrimination. After all as chumdawg points out, we all discriminate. Our society couldn't function without discrimination. What is generally refered to in the media as discrimination, is in fact a small subset of discrimination which is unjust discrimination. Unless you want to argue that homosexuals are having sex without pleasure and are not the principal recipiants of the benefits of that sex, which knowing you you may want to, there isn't a lot to really be offended about this. It could be aruged that most sexual activity contains a good part of selfish hedonism. I could see where it could also be viewed otherwise. However, just because someone has an opinion different from yours doesn't make it unjust discrimination for having that opinion. However if you want to act intolerantly towards that person for having a contrary opinion, then that would meet the popular definition of unjust discrimination.

BTW I did answer your question on discrimination. However I answered it with a narrow definition of discrimination because as I've stated above, not all discrimination is the same and some discrimination is necessary for society to function properly. You however haven't answered the question about being a racial bigot.