View Single Post
Old 09-04-2004, 11:23 PM   #13
FishForLunch
Platinum Member

FishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of light
Default RE:Here is someone who agrees with Mavdog and Reeds

Are these the guys that Kerry would consult before dealing with any threat to our national security. What do you expect from the leftists other than blame. They have no solutions.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Moscow angered by EU demand

Vladimir Putin speaks to a woman in a hospital in Beslan, North Ossetia. (AFP)
Moscow/Valkenburg (Netherlands), Sept. 4 (Reuters): Russia denounced today as “blasphemous” a request by the EU’s Dutch presidency for an explanation for the bloody end to a mass hostage seizure at a school by Chechen gunmen.

But Dutch foreign minister Bernard Bot, who made the request in a statement yesterday on behalf of the EU presidency, said he had been misunderstood and he would try to calm the row by talking to his Russian counterpart, Sergei Lavrov.

“There obviously was a misunderstanding,” Bot told a news conference after a meeting of EU foreign ministers in the Netherlands. “My words have been misinterpreted. I never said that I needed to be ... informed.”

More than 320 people, almost half of them children, were found dead after troops stormed a school yesterday in the southern Russian town of Beslan, where Chechen separatists had held more than 1,000 hostages for 53 hours.

In a statement issued in the name of the EU presidency yesterday, Bot said all countries should work together to stop such tragedies, adding: “We also would like to know from the Russian authorities how this tragedy could have happened.”

The Russian foreign ministry reacted with outrage to Bot’s statement, and Interfax news agency said the Dutch ambassador had been summoned to the ministry to explain.

“Mr Bot’s elaborations are an absolute contrast with the wide international support and solidarity with Russia in these tragic days,” a ministry statement said.

“Inappropriate statements by the Dutch minister look odious ... and blasphemous,” it said. “We expect explanations from the Dutch side.” Bot said had only sought more information from Moscow and had not intended to criticise.

“I will certainly set the record straight with my colleague Lavrov later in the day,” he said.

“In the context of the fact that we are dealing with a global scourge ... it would be very useful if there was more intensive cooperation between all countries in the world, both in the preliminary stage when we are trying to prevent such things and in the aftermath, because we can all learn from each other,” he said.

At Valkenburg in the Netherlands, where the EU ministers were meeting, Swedish foreign minister Laila Freivalds tsaid she understood the Russian reaction and Irish foreign minister Brian Cowen said it would be “a very premature and wrong judgment” to fault the Russian security forces. But diplomats said former Soviet republic Latvia had pressed the EU at the meeting to react more strongly to the Russian handling of the siege.

FishForLunch is offline   Reply With Quote