View Single Post
Old 09-13-2004, 01:30 AM   #12
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:Powell admits "no direct connection" between Saddam and 9/11

Quote:
Originally posted by: Epitome22
Quote:
Originally posted by: MavKikiNYC
We know that <u>THERE HAD BEEN CONNECTIONS </u> and <u>THERE HAD BEEN EXCHANGES</u> between al Qaeda and the Saddam Hussein regime. And those have been pursued and looked at," Powell said on the program.

"But I have seen nothing that makes a <u>DIRECT</u> connection between Saddam Hussein and that awful regime, and what happened on 9/11."

He also said that he believed at the time that they had WMDs, and that even though no WMDs have been found (yet) , they have found evidence of weapons programs that would have allowed the Iraqis to proceed with the construction of WMDs had the Hussein regime not been deposed.

This non-story is just another desperate attempt by what's left of the Kerry campaign to divert some negative attention from Kerry's own sorry record on defense and anti-terrorism intelligence.

It amounts to little more than a death throe.

Let's get off the disasterous Kerry campaign a moment and focus on the war and what Colin Powell said. I'm interested in what you think and want to discuss this intelligently and in a civil manner.

&gt;We know that <u>THERE HAD BEEN CONNECTIONS </u> and <u>THERE HAD BEEN EXCHANGES</u> between al Qaeda and the Saddam Hussein regime. And those have been pursued and looked at," Powell said on the program.

"But I have seen nothing that makes a <u>DIRECT</u> connection between Saddam Hussein and that awful regime, and what happened on 9/11."

From my reading of this statement, it appears that Colin Powell now believes that there may have been a relationship between Saddam Hussein and Al-Qaeda in the past, but he doesen't think this was a strong enough connection to directly link Saddam Hussein to 9/11 and the War on Terror. We'll get to the oppressive regime and WMDs later. A reasonable inference from this reading would be; that a reasoning for an invasion of Iraq as being part of a greater war on terror was not justifiable. What is your thought on this?
Wow talk about totally rewriting what Powell said. Instead of putting all kinds of unsaid meaning into what Powell said, why not just take him at his word: that he didn't see any direct connection. It is not reasonable to put your house of cards personal interpretation into what Powell said to mean that he thought that an invasion of Iraq was not justified. If that's what he intened to say, I'm sure that Powell would have stated it much clearer. You're reaching.