Thread: Licenses
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2004, 12:03 PM   #16
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Licenses

Quote:
Originally posted by: Mavdog
I don't believe that citizenship should be a prerequisite for having a driver's license. The license is a permit to drive a motor vehicle and is evidence of meeting the qualifications for driving a vehicle. What does that have to do with where the person is a citizen?

Yes, illegal immigrants do pay taxes. They pay rent, which pays the property taxes. They purchase goods and services, and they pay taxes on those as well. Reporting crimes? If they wouldn't have a fear of the police, I would expect they would do that as well.
If you don't okay. However you then have to come up with another mechanism for ensuring legality. If you want to have everyone in the us have an id card and then have that reflected on their drivers license okay.

HOWEVER...

I don't really see why an illegal immigrant should be granted a "license" to operate a car in this country. I really don't care much about what they do/do not do but being outside the law and the system it would seem logical that there is a better than zero chance that they would either be taken advantage of, or skirt and break the law in other ways.

The real problem is how to do it. I'm starting to think it needs to be a combination of a work-program that bush promoted BUT at the same time (or closely after) have no-bs crackdown on illegals coming across the border and very stiff jail time for employers. In fact the employers is probably the only way to do it.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote