Thread: Licenses
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2004, 02:00 PM   #19
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:Licenses

I can't believe that anyone would seriously argue that drivers licenses should be issued to illega immigrants. I have no problem with legal immigrants getting licenses. But if immagrants are illegal, then they should have no rights except to be deported unless they can make a convincing case as to why they should have political assylum.

That said, our policy of issuing work visas with mexico is a sad and pathetic mess of corruption. This needs to be fixed. Our economy depends a great deal on the relative cheap labor provided by immigrants from south of our border. We need to provide a working and noncorrupt method for these people to legally enter our country to do work that we need. Unlike immigrants from some other countries who take skilled and professional jobs away from Americans, by and large hispanic immigrants take jobs that are undesireable to Americans and which we are quite frankly too damn lazy to do. I've know hundreds of hispanic illegal immigrants, and by and large the vast majority wish nothing more than to work hard and honestly. However there is a vast system of corruption which makes it vitually impossible for the majority to legally gain status to work here. We have a two-faced system on immigrants. We know that we need them, but it's not politically expedient to make a way for the legally to be here. It's also not politically expedient for us to shut down the borders. This policy needs to change.