View Single Post
Old 09-29-2004, 11:04 PM   #30
DCowboysGal

DCowboysGal is on a distinguished road
Default RE:Steve Kerr: Mavs won't make the playoffs

I think MIN might take a slight step back because of the age of their key players aside from K. Garnett, ie. Cassell and Sprewell. Plus, Nesterovic has plateaued and isn't the complementary do-the-dirty-work-type-C K. Garnett needs. He does a lot of things OK, but isn't really a standout in any one aspect.

DEN has a potentially dominating frontcourt with a C/PF rotation of Camby, K. Martin, and Nene. It's a young, fast, and athletic team overall. Young teams generally might not be that great on defense, but with that frontcourt rotation, post defense shouldn't be an issue at least.

MEM I think will just miss the playoffs because like DAL last year, they won't be particularly good defensively at C. Stromile Swift, Pau Gasol, and Lorenzen Wright are all better suited both in build and game to play PF rather than C. Swift has great upside though as I think he could be a Jermaine O'Neal-in-waiting, a guy who just needs full-time minutes at PF to show that he could be a dominating player defensively. Swift of course still needs to work on developing a jump shot but it took O'Neal years to do that too.

I like the way Utah reloaded with young players, and the fact that they got a true PF in Boozer enabling Kirilenko to return to SF, his best position. Okur is a good shooter at C who could draw opposing C's out of the key, clearing space for Boozer and Kirilenko to get in there for rebounds and putbacks.

PHO is young and athletic and will be great on the fast break, but like last year they'll give up some points and be questionable on defense, especially at PG with the trying-hard-can't-overcome-short-arms-and-limited-agility S. Nash. Plus, wing players Q. Rich and J. Johnson seem a little lackadaiscal when playing man defense. I think S. Marion will lead all SF's in rebounding and steals and I can't really believe that they would try to trade him. He's one of the best SF's in the league in my opinion.

I just think virtually every team in the West, except perhaps GS and SEA, have the ability to reach the playoffs/hit 50+wins. Every team seems to have at least 2-3 solid core players, even SEA with R. Allen and R. Lewis. It's really too close to call maybe.
DCowboysGal is offline   Reply With Quote