View Single Post
Old 10-08-2004, 11:22 AM   #14
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Red River Shootout Thread

Gotta love the search utility

Quote:
Originally posted by: Dooby
Didn't go to Texas, but I am a root for Texas. The knock on him is that he can't coach the big game; therefore, he can't be a good coach. Mack Brown is a gifted recruiter. In college athletics, recruiting is as important as anything else. That is just a statement of fact. Texas is a perrenial top 10 program because of Mack Brown; sepecifically because Mack Brown can recruit. The players were not going to Texas before Mack Brown got there. I have never understood the assumption that the players would keep going to Texas after he leaves.

Before I fire any coach, I'd call up one of these consultants that help universities find coaches. Texas used one to find Mack Brown; the same firm BTW recommended Stoops for OU. I imagine Deloss Dodds' conversation would go this way:

Dodds: Hey, we are thinking of firing Mack Brown; who is the best college coach available?

Consultant: Assuming you fire Mack Brown?

Dodds: Yes. If we fire Mack Brown, who is the hottest college coach available?

Consultant: Mack Brown.

Dodds: No. You don't understand. We want to fire Mack Brown.

Consultant: I understand perfectly, dipshit. You gave Mackovick a contract extension based on one lucky play. You are a F'ing idiot. You didn't even want Brown in the first place. You wanted to hire Gary Barnett-Gary Barnett lost to Baylor. If you fire Mack Brown, he'll have 5 offers by the end of the week and he is going to take half your recruiting class with him, and probably get 5 to 10 current players to transfer.