View Single Post
Old 10-13-2004, 10:49 AM   #51
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Retooled roster pushes Howard to Mavs' bench

Mavericks Notes
Howard's hard work not going unnoticed

By Dwain Price
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

DALLAS - Earlier this summer, Josh Howard questioned whether he was going to be the odd-man out of the Mavericks' four-man shooting guard/small forward rotation.

After the Mavs acquired Jerry Stackhouse, Howard knew that meant added competition for minutes that already included Michael Finley and Marquis Daniels. As the Mavs open preseason play at 7 tonight in New Orleans, Howard doesn't have to worry anymore.

"My best player during training camp has been Josh Howard," coach Don Nelson said. "Nobody seems to talk much about him, but he's been doing so well for so long ... I think it's time to give him some credit."

With Daniels out of tonight's game with a sprained right ankle, Howard will start at small forward against the Hornets.

"For those worried about Josh Howard not playing, you can forget that," Nelson said. "He's going to play.

"He's a good player, and he's taken a step in the right direction from this summer until now. I'm really pleased with his performance in this training camp, and he's got the coach's eye."

Howard, 6-7, said he was pleased with Nelson's assessment of his training camp.

"Tell him, 'Thank you,' " Howard said.

Mavs owner Mark Cuban said Howard has the same game instincts as Utah forward Andrei Kirilenko, who played in last season's All-Star Game in only his third season.

"Josh reminds me more and more of Kirilenko, how he plays," Cuban said. "He's a super smart defender, and he has the ability to impact the game defensively.

"He's just got to know what he can and can't do offensively. We've got guys who can defend, but Josh is a guy who can have an impact on a game defensively. You don't find a lot of those guys."

Nelson wants Howard to assume the "dirty work" role Eduardo Najera played the past four seasons. Howard came to camp determined to build off what he accomplished last year. The sore left knee that has limited Daniels' mobility in training camp has given Howard much more court time.

"I just think I'm more focused this year," Howard said.

Chemistry test

Dirk Nowitzki, the Mavs' go-to guy, can't wait for tonight's game against the Hornets so he can better gauge just what type of team management built in the off-season.

With nine new faces, the Mavs have been predicted by some to finish as high as fourth in the Western Conference, and by others to miss the playoffs altogether.

"We've got so many new guys that [establishing chemistry] is going to be very difficult," Nowitzki said. "We've all got to find a rhythm somehow.

"Every single day is very important for us in preseason. Hopefully, by November, we're going to be a very sharp team."