View Single Post
Old 10-13-2004, 03:02 PM   #54
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:Dirk and Damp getting in sync

Quote:
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs
Ape, you can't be serious about this can you?

"two solid veteran rotation guys in Laettner and Najera, two first round draft picks,"

It's funny how you are all on the Najera bandwaggon since he has left. A solid veteran rotation guy? This coming from the same guy who said this"Najera is a stinking greasy bucket of Sh-t...". Now he's a solid veteran to you? And as stated numerous times one of those picks is a conditional first rounder which will more than likely end up in a money exception. The other is the Mavs pick which will be somewhere 25-30 range. Some things you have got to just let go.
I wasn't the biggest fan of Najera, ture. I loved Christian Laettner while he was here. With the expulsion of our two franchise power forwards, we desperately needed both. Now we have neither, and we have a gaping hole at power forward. Depth is critical in this league, especially frontcourt depth. Najera isn't a world beater, he got far too much playing time while he was here. But as a third option behind Dirk, Laettner, and Booth? I think he'd have filled that role very nicely. Much more nicely than the current Maverick starting center fits his new role.

As for the draft picks, go ahead and dismiss them. I admire that before the Dampier debacle we made a real effort to get younger, and I LOVE all of our young players. But the biggest mistake you can make is to clap your hands together and say "there, I'm done getting younger". Becuase if this team doesn't work out, and there's a big possibility that it won't, you'll have NO options to rebuild. That conditional pick very well could turn out to be a pick around the lower part of the lottery. I don't need to remind you the kind of players you can find there.. but only one of our current crop of players was taken with a pick higher than what that conditional pick will probably end up being, and where our real 2005 pick will probably end up being (if it's 25-30, I'll eat my hat). That's two potential building blocks flushed down the toilet. Sorry if I'm not as quick to dismiss them as you are.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote