View Single Post
Old 10-14-2004, 06:39 PM   #77
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:Dirk and Damp getting in sync

Quote:
Originally posted by: Arne
@Drbio
Madape should just take a damn look at the efficiency rating. I can't take him seriously, with his opinions about half of the roster, no matter how many posts he has, or how many posts I have.

Quote from madape:"...for a guy who's been at BEST a mediocre center in this league for the past seven years..."
Does he call a guy, who has been the third best center in the efficieny rating last year, a mediocre center? I just can't see his point... And can he just totally ignore, that the guy has been the 24th-best player in whole efficiency rating?

Antoine Walker was the 45th-best player and a guy like Kenny Thomas could get in front of him in that rating...
I also think that he's a cancer for every team, almost as much as Ricky Davis was in Cleveland.
And the most effective way to get him involved was that fu..... small ball, hich saved his field goal percentage as well.

Don't get me wrong, he's not a bad player at all. He can get a mediocre team in the playoffs. But he's just not what a Team needs to win the trophy.

You apparently haven't been a basketball fan for very long. I've been watching Dampier for years, and I can tell you that the man has always been a piece of shit. I've watched year after year after year of terrible play from this man. And one year of good rebounding isn't going to change my mind about the man. You put a lot of faith into stats, I guess. But do you even bother to analyze the stats? Dampier had a big bump in rebounding last year, and it impacted his efficiency ratings. But the story behind those number is that the ENTIRE GOLDEN STATE FRONTCOURT was either injured or traded away last year. Dampier spent almost the entire year playing along side Cliff Robinson in the paint. CLIFF ROBINSON! Cliff Robinson is without a doubt the worst rebounding power forward in the history of the NBA. I'm not exagerating when I say that if Evan Eschmeyer would have logged Dampier's minutes, he would have averaged better stats. Hell, nine out of ten centers on an NBA roster might have been able to log a double double for that terrible team.

And you are really proving yourself to be a fool when you talk about efficiency ratings. That is a stat that has been absolutely dominated by Shawn Bradley, ever since the damn thing has been an official NBA stat. He spent the majority of the 2002 season in the top ten. Quite a bit of the time, he was #1. Not just among centers, but for all NBA players. #1! I bet you didn't know that. He has also in the past been had the most impact on how well the Mavericks play as a team. When Shawn is on the court, the Mavericks have outscored their opponents by more points than when any just about any other player has been on the court, and he's done it consistently. That stat is called "plus/minus"., by the way. Look into it.

You might wonder what Dampier's plus/minus was last year... I'll tell you. It was bad. Admittedly, Dampier played for a bad team (coincidence?) But Wayne Winston, a professor at the Kelly school of Business at Indiana has developed an algorithm that levels the playing field for players on bad teams. Guess what his analysis showed? Golden State played about as poorly with Dump on the court as they did when he was off. He had almost zero impact on how well they played. That's the truth. That's the story behind the stats. Anyone can find one stat that proves one point or another, but only a guy who actually watches the games should be able to comment. You obviously have never watched Dump. The years and years of GS games I've witness has let me to one conclusion: Dump is a bad player. Last year was no exception. This year will be no exception.

And I'm not even going to get into an Antoine Walker vs. Dumpier debate. That's a comparison only a fool would make.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote