View Single Post
Old 10-16-2004, 05:42 PM   #16
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Mavs Practice 16-Oct 2004

here are some of Bob "I'm the biggest Mavs homer" Ortegel's opinions...I still tend to like the guy though...find contentment here
Quote:
Bob Ortegel – who begins his 17th season as the color analyst for Mavs telecasts and his fourth season as a contributor to DB.com – plays Q-and-A on a variety of subjects, including Damp’s fit, early turnovers, Dirk’s chin being up and the nauseating idea of 3-point availability only in a game’s final five minutes:
DB.COM BOARDS
FISH ON RADIO: LISTEN!

On Erick Dampier
Coach O: "I’m seeing a lot of progress. I really think Nellie is enthused about having the big guy down low. He does get position, he is capable of finishing. He is not going to get the number of opportunities of Dirk or Fin, and shouldn’t, but he does present a different challenge for opponents. I do look at some of the numbers from that first preseason game and I am somewhat disappointed, but it was only a preseason opener.
“More than anything is the strength factor. He moves people around the basket when his body makes contact. Damp has to make sure when the shot goes up that he gets to the front of the rim, that he gets big when he gets there by spreading out, and then make the catch before trying to put it back. Go to the front, widen out, make the catch, and then the finish.’’

On point guard turnovers
Coach O: “The Mavs have led the NBA in fewest turnovers per minute in the last two years. Last year, it was 12.2 per, so 23 in one game is way over. Are they forced turnovers or bad decisions?
“The youngster, Devin Harris, has a tendency to get out of control a bit. The first time I saw Devin was against the Chinese National Team in Fort Worth, and he had five quick turnovers, four of them because he was playing out of control. In terms of speed and quickness, Devin and Jason Terry are impressive. I think Devin might be quicker than Jason, but Jason is faster endline to endline. … he’s unbelievable.
“Both these guys will have to learn what Nellie wants: for them to understand that the most important thing they can bring to the table is sound decision-making.’’

On a “no-excuses’’ approach
Coach O: “You need to come together. This is a team with talent, and it is veteran talent. These guys have been in the league. It’s Fin’s 10th year, it’s Henderson’s 10th year, it’s Dirk’s sixth year, it’s Dampier’s ninth year. … I mean, c’mon, there are no excuses. So I think this team needs to come together quickly, and should do so.’’

On Dirk’s mood
Coach O: “I have seen exactly the opposite (from a hang-dog mood). He’s really working hard at practice. He wears his practice uniform over sweatpants and a couple of long-sleeve shirts, and he gets wringing wet. I don’t see any hangover at all about buddy Steve Nash not being here.’’

On Josh Howard’s role
Coach O: “I’m with you in not understanding all the odd-man out talk. Josh is a starter right now! In New Orleans, he was staring and played 39 minutes! He is as fearless as anybody on the team, he doesn’t even think about getting hurt. He does some crazy things sometimes, but I love how he plays every minute with enthusiasm and passion. A guy with that, plus with his skills, you don’t want him just on your bench.’’
“Josh will get minutes. He’s flexible, he can guard a big or a small, he can be a 2, a 3 or a 4. The Mavs need a lot of the things he can do.’’

On his reaction to NBA gossip regarding a rule change that would have the 3-pointer used only in games’ final 5 minutes
Coach O: “I cringe.’’

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote