View Single Post
Old 10-18-2004, 11:27 PM   #1
HexNBA
Golden Member

HexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to all
Default Booth glad to be back at Mavs post

Booth glad to be back at Mavs post

After Seattle stint, center returns to system that suits his style

08:37 PM CDT on Monday, October 18, 2004

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

Calvin Booth's first tour of duty with the Mavericks was brief but crucial to his growth as an NBA player, not to mention the growth of his bank account.

The 6-11 center spent half a season with Don Nelson and the Mavericks in 2000-01. He thrived in the last 15 games after recovering from elbow surgery, averaging 7.5 points, 4.8 rebounds and two blocks.

That summer, he signed a nice free-agent deal with Seattle, one that pays him $5.9 million this year and runs through 2006-07.

Nelson rued the day Booth left, partly because it was Booth who made the game-clinching layup with 9.7 seconds left in the decisive Game 5 of the first-round playoff series against Utah.

"Sometimes," Booth says, "you don't realize what you have until you're gone."

It's unclear whether it's Booth or the Mavericks who didn't realize what they had. But it appears the reunion this year is going to be good for both. Booth is having what he calls the best training camp of his career, mainly because he's healthy after injuries contributed to three lukewarm seasons in Seattle.

"I wouldn't change my decision the first time," Booth says. "But it makes me appreciate being here the second time even more. This whole system is good for me."

That's because he's Nelson's kind of center. His best asset is shot-blocking. He's also a solid rebounder. And, of course, Booth wouldn't be a Mavericks center without a 15-foot jumper in his arsenal.

"I'm not trying to prove anything," he says. "It's one of the better camps I've had since I've been in the NBA. It's the first full summer I've had without any rehab or anything like that. I was pretty prepared coming in, and it's been beneficial for me."

Booth started Sunday's preseason game at Orlando and responded with 10 points, six rebounds and two blocks in 25 minutes.

While Erick Dampier is the starter, presuming he's healthy, Booth's return is proving to be a nice insurance policy.

Time of the essence: The Mavericks have six preseason games left in the next 10 days. Is that enough time to work out their many flaws?

"Maybe, maybe not," said Michael Finley. "But you have to play the cards you're dealt. You can't use the new guys as an excuse."

Briefly: Pavel Podkolzin finally has a work visa waiting for him at the U.S. Embassy in Moscow. When he picks that up, he will catch a flight to Dallas. He is not expected to play during the preseason. He needs surgery to correct a pituitary problem. ... Shawn Bradley took a charge in practice Monday and paid the price. He fell backward and hit his head on the floor, receiving a mild concussion. "Everything's a little fuzzy," he said. ... Jerry Stackhouse missed practice with a right thigh contusion and is doubtful tonight. ... Erick Dampier (hamstring) and Dirk Nowitzki (ankle) worked out. Nowitzki will play tonight. Dampier is a game-time decision.