View Single Post
Old 10-23-2004, 01:55 PM   #6
DCowboysGal

DCowboysGal is on a distinguished road
Default RE:My Official: Plan to get the Rangers to the World Series in '05

- I wouldn't sign Alou because he's 38 and a mediocre fielder whose mobility in the field is questionable because of a history of leg problems. I doubt he'd be willing to become a DH at this point because he's a proud guy.

- I'd trade Soriano to the Cubs for 1 or 2 of their blue-chip starting pitching prospects like Bobbie Brownlie and/or Chad Blasko and/or Renyel Pinto and/or Angel Guzman, etc. or to LA for Edwin Jackson and/or Joel Hanrahan and/or Chad Billingsley or to SF for Jerome Williams or Matt Cain and/or Merkin Valdez. If LA loses A. Beltre, they'll need another RH bat. SF needs another consistent power-hitter in the lineup aside from Bonds, plus they might trade 2B R. Durham. CHIC, LA, and SF might all be looking to upgrade their offense at 2B. As for us, our best starting pitching prospects, ie. Danks, Diamond, etc. are at Low-A and years away from helping us. R. Rodriguez, C. Young, J. Dominguez, K. Loe, etc. are uncertain prospects at best so it can't hurt to have blue-chippers in the mix too. Blasko, E. Jackson, J. Williams, etc. are either close to the bigs or up there.

- For SS, I'd sign a cheap veteran, ie. Vizquel, to fight it out for the starting job with Ian Kinsler. Vizquel, while still capable of providing good defense, would also be an ideal #2 hitter because he's a switch-hitter and has great bunting skills. Kinsler has shown some advanced plate skills as his BB numbers were good last year and he doesn't K that much. That a young hitter shows that much plate discipline already is impressive. He can also steal some bases and coupled with his potential for producing a decent OBP, that would make him an ideal leadoff hitter.

- Kenny Rogers is definitely better suited to starting lower in the rotation. He had a terrible 2nd half and his WHIP was horrendous. He'll always give up a lot of hits because he's a finesse pitcher who nibbles on the corners. Therefore, he's only good for 6 innings a game and a staff ace should be a workhorse guy who can consistently go a lot longer than that.

- I saw a few games in TOR that M. Batista pitched. He's effective going through the batting order once, then he gets shelled after that. That's one of the reasons TOR made him their closer over the last few games (the other being that TOR didn't have a better option at closer).

- Carl Pavano will probably be the most prized FA starting pitcher out there because of the year he had and his youth relative to the other guys. I think the Yankees will outbid anyone for him, not just because he's a good pitcher, but because he's a former BOS farmhand as well.

- I wouldn't mind landing Cris Carpenter, although he'll be heavily sought after too. He had a great comeback year with the Cards, plus he has experiencing pitching in the AL with TOR. He has a decent fastball and can K people (152 K's in 182 IP), doesn't walk people that much (only 38 BB's) and has good stamina, making him an ideal workhorse ace-#3-type pitcher.
DCowboysGal is offline   Reply With Quote