View Single Post
Old 11-10-2004, 10:48 AM   #16
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Finley among three Mavs now nursing ankles

Finley sidelined with sprained right ankle

By Art Garcia
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

ORLANDO, Fla. - Mavericks guard Michael Finley will be sidelined for an indefinite period of time after spraining his right ankle in Tuesday night's 94-84 loss against the Orlando Magic at TD Waterhouse Centre.

Finley's injury wasn't the only one the Mavs dealt with while losing their first game of the season.

Dirk Nowitzki nearly sat out the game after experiencing swelling in his right ankle because of bone spurs. Josh Howard suffered a less serious left ankle sprain less than two minutes into the game but was able to return and play 31 minutes.

Finley, the team's second-leading scorer, was driving to the basket when he stepped on the left foot of Magic forward Hedo Turkoglu with 7:29 left in the third quarter. Finley's right ankle gave and he fell to the floor.

After the stoppage in play, he was able to walk under his own power and shoot two free throws. But he checked out of the game after that and went to the locker room to begin receiving treatment. X-rays revealed a second-degree sprain but no additional damage.

"I rolled it like that before and I played through it," said Finley, who finished with eight points in 20 minutes. "But this time, after I shot free throws, I knew it wasn't the same."

Finley has been sidelined by hamstring, calf and toe injuries at various times during the past three seasons. The Mavs' medical staff is considering sending him back to Dallas for further treatment instead of remaining with the team for the last three games of the four-game trip.

"[Injuries are] always frustrating, whether I'm playing good or bad," Finley said. "Just to be unable to help the team, I feel helpless. I'm just trying to get back as soon as I can."

Marquis Daniels will start in Finley's absence.

Nowitzki began feeling discomfort in his ankle after Monday night's 101-98 overtime win against Golden State. He had bone spurs removed from his left ankle three years ago and had considered similar surgery for his right ankle.

"If it only bothers me once a year, I don't think it's that big a deal," Nowitzki said.

Howard is worried his ankle injury could jeopardize his availability for Thursday's game at Miami.

"I hope not," said Howard, who grabbed 11 rebounds but missed all eight of his shots. "It's real sore. I just don't want to hurt it later on."

He can ask Daniels for advice. Daniels is still playing on a sprained left ankle that is far from 100 percent.