View Single Post
Old 11-15-2004, 12:56 PM   #24
AnMan21

AnMan21 will become famous soon enough
Default RE:The Official College Football National Championship thread

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3

The BCS doesn't need tweaking. The BCS needs a complete overhaul.....again.
Anyways, we can only hope that there is absolute chaos. Can you imagine how much OU would piss and moan if they end the season undefeated?...and rightfully so.
a possible fix would be a bullet to the affect of "if there are two undefeated teams AFTER the bcs bowls, those teams will play one additional game." it would take care of the moaning that's going to happen this year should it happen. another small tweak would be "no team that does not win their conference can play for a national title." there would've been a USC v. LSU game last year, and you wouldn't have heard all the "co-champion" talk. making every conference play a championship game would be yet one more small tweak. if wisconsin had gone undefeated they would've moaned for not being placed in the championship game, but they don't even play michigan! the "automatic" berth exemptions need to be reworked too....

the opposing side is generally a "playoff" notion. i think this eliminates a lot of what people do like about college football. under either system losing two games would basically eliminate the team from the title, however under a playoff, one loss for power teams like OU, UT, USC, Auburn, etc would still give them a chance. sure, as a UT fan, it'd be nice to think we could lose to OU and still have a shot, BUT wouldn't that basically eliminate part of the intensity of the red river shootout? wouldn't this game (and others like it) become just another game on the schedule? sure, they'd remain fun for the fans, but they wouldn't have the underlying effect anymore. further, the conference championships i've just pushed for in the bcs would have to be eliminated completely - otherwise there's a great chance of NOT having the best possible playoff brackett....

either way, changes need to be made....i just think most of the problems can be avoided with a final tweak to the bcs. of course it seems it's always a topic of conversation this time of year and inevitably some team always losses late...
AnMan21 is offline   Reply With Quote