View Single Post
Old 11-24-2004, 07:46 PM   #36
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Defensive rankings

Quote:
I'm not sure that I see the effect you're referring to.
The effect is knowing you have a bruising center to absorb punishment if you mke a mistake. The effect is knowing you have someone on the blocks to dump it down to if a double comes on the offensive end, or someone to "unclog" the middle for penetration.

I'm not sure it is measureable by stats. But Dirk's personal stats aren't a fluke this year. Yes, losing Nash forced Dirk to control the ball. But the reason why Dirk is shooting a much better percentage this year from inside and outside the 3 is having Dampier on the court opening up "lanes" for him more. Most of those lanes were clogged by Walker and Jamison.

And if Howard continues to knock down the jumper, you will not see a small forward guard Dirk again. (The only reason Marion got to in Phoenix is because Dallas couldn't punish Amare on the blocks with Damp because of the injury.)
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote